As you age, it’s natural to be a little warier about the types of sports and physical activities you can participate in. But physical activity is vitally important to your health, and the more active you are, the healthier and happier you’ll be! Though you may not be able to move like you used to, there are still plenty of sports and physical activities that you can do to keep your activity level up.
Look at some great sports and activities for seniors so that you can stay active no matter what:
- Walking is the most reliable form of fitness, especially since people of all ages and physical capabilities can walk for at least a brief period. Choose challenging or less strenuous walking routes, either alone or with friends, to get extra social time. And, of course, feel free to use a cane or walking stick if you need it!
- Water sports are great for seniors—they’re cardio and resistance exercises so that you can get a full, low-impact workout. Swimming, water polo, and water aerobics are some of the most popular options for seniors. Water sports are also a fantastic way to meet new people!
- Yoga is relaxing and meditative, helping your physical and emotional well-being by reducing stress levels. Physically, yoga can improve flexibility, balance, strength, and respiratory flow. One of the best parts of yoga is that you’re always encouraged to do things to the best of your ability—if something is beyond your capabilities, no one will judge you for sitting one position or two out!
- Net sports are perfect for seniors since they can improve hand-eye coordination, strength, and balance. Tennis also has a decent amount of cardio since you’ll be running back and forth to keep up with the ball. Think of it as a full-body workout! Just be sure to take it slowly: tennis can be fast-paced, so you may want to take it easy if it’s your first time playing.
- While golf is low energy, the motions involved when swinging a club can improve your joints, circulation, and range of motion. Plus, with all the walking around to get from hole to hole, you’ll get a decent amount of cardio in, too!
Addington Place at College Harbor is a vibrant senior living community with an ocean view in St. Petersburg, Florida. Whether you want to perfect your golf game, take a continuing education class, relax by the sparkling pool on our expansive outdoor patio or stroll through the garden walking paths, our distinctive community offers many social and recreational opportunities. Our friendly staff is ready to assist you 24 hours a day.
Visit our website to learn more, or call us at (727) 866-3124 to schedule a tour today!